Alto Analytics is proud to announce that it has become a signatory to the Contract for the Web, the first-ever global plan of action to make sure our online world is safe, empowering and genuinely for everyone. This initiative was launched by Sir Tim Berners-Lee, also known as the “Father of the Internet”, and the World Wide Web Foundation on the premise that the Web was designed to bring people together and make knowledge freely available. Having changed the world for good and improved the lives of billions, many people are still unable to access its benefits and, for others, the Web comes with too many unacceptable costs. At the heart of the Contract is a fundamental understanding that everyone has a role to play in safeguarding the future of the Web.
The Contract for the Web was created by representatives from over 80 organizations, representing governments, companies, and civil society, and includes organizations such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, and Microsoft, among several others, and sets out commitments to guide digital policy agendas. To achieve the Contract’s goals, governments, companies, civil society and individuals must commit to sustained policy development, advocacy, and implementation of the Contract text.
The principles outlined in the contract are divided among the classifications of responsibilities corresponding to Governments, Companies, and Citizens and are as follows:
- Ensure everyone can connect to the internet
- Keep all of the internet available, all of the time
- Respect and protect people’s fundamental online privacy and data rights
- Make the internet affordable and accessible to everyone
- Respect and protect people’s privacy and personal data to build online trust
- Develop technologies that support the best in humanity and challenge the worst
- Be creators and collaborators on the web
- Build communities that respect civil discourse and human dignity
- Fight for the Web
To read the full text of the World Wide Web Foundation’s Contract for the Web, click the link below:
Interested in our work? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about Alto Analytics, subscribe to our newsletter below.